Saturday 28/6:
On Saturday, we got up early, because I had to be at the hairdresser's at 8. The reason my appointment was that early is my very smooth, straight and long hair. In order to put it up in nice curls and twirls as I wanted, it first had to be curled, of course, and that would take time. Its straightness meant that it would require lots of some hairspray that helps keep the curls in it, and its longness meant that once it was rolled up on curlers with lots of this hairspray on, it would take a while for it to dry so they could be taken out again and the curls appear. And then of course, there'd still be the actual putting it up to do.
So an early start it was. I took a shower with my hair carefully put into a knot and covered with a towel because it would have taken even longer to dry later on with the curlers in unless it was completely dry when I got to the hairdresser's. I'd also had to make sure not to wash it with shampoo later than Thursday evening - again because it's very straight and smooth, and some natural oil in it was necessary to make my hairdo hold all night. I'd prepared for this by getting used to wash it with shampoo only every third day (and just rinse it with water otherwise) - good thing, too; before when I used shampoo every day, it would feel sort of itchy if I skipped the shampoo a day once in a while. By letting it get used to less shampoo, that itchiness disappeared. And it's supposed to be much better for the hair and scalp as well.
Anyway, enough of that and back to Saturday morning. I had a bit of breakfast, and went by bus to Albertslund centre where I carefully kept my hair under the hood of my raincoat while I waited for my mum to meet me so she could keep my company while I got my hair done. She arrived, and after waiting a bit more since it was still a little earlier than 8, we went into the hairdresser's shop where we took out the cherries, chocolate and orange juice I'd brought and got some coffee. Then the hairdresser asked if we'd remembered the veil - and I'd forgotten it! I'd laid it out so as to be sure to remember, and still forgotten it. So I called Stefan who promised to bring it, and we got started on the process of curling my hair. While I was sitting under the drying helmet thing they use, Stefan appeared with the veil. After he left, I read some magazines, talked to my mum, and looked over my speech. After about an hour, my hair was finally dry, and the curlers were taken out. I looked ridiculous with all those wild curls, of course, and it was funny to see myself like that. Then the hairdresser started putting it all up and putting the veil in. It ended up very nice, I think - here are some pictures:
From the front:

From the left side:

From the right side:

From the back:

When my hair was done and we had paid, the hairdresser called a taxi for us and was told there was one already parked at the nearest parking place. But when we went there, no taxi was anywhere to be seen. My mum called once more, and we discovered that someone must have misunderstood something when the hairdresser called, since the taxi had been at the right place, but had been sent somewhere else (very close by, so he got back to the right place fast).
We got home, and had a little time just to relax. Then we had some lunch, and I put on my makeup. I wanted it to be festive, but not too unlike my normal look. Normally I wear eyeliner and beige eyeshadow, so for this occassion I had exchanged the beige eyeshadow for green and gold, and added mascara, mineral foundation and a little lipgloss to what I'm used to. I was quite satisfied with the result. The eye shadow didn't stay perfect all night, but it stayed well enough that I didn't bother to apply more at any point; I just smoothed it out a bit at one point when it had started to gather in the eyelid fold, and I think I looked just fine all night. Here's the best pic tures I could find of the makeup:


After putting on the makeup, I started getting dressed. First, of course, stockings and underwear, then my skirt, and finally, with my mum's help, the dress. I suppose a full figure foto of me in the dress is in order here:

After getting on the dress, I put on my jewellery, and we waited a bit before it was time to go to the party place. Stefan had ordered a taxi earlier so we'd be sure it was there on time. We walked all the way through the area where we live to got to the parking lot where the taxi would pick us up, me with my dress lifted above my knees to make sure it didn't get dirty. It must have been quite a sight; unfortunately there were very few people around to see it.
Well, the taxi arrived, we got me into it with a little trouble (big dress!), and my mum and Stefan with no trouble at all (no big dresses on them). And a short taxi ride later, we were at the party place where a couple of guests had already arrived (we weren't late, they were early) and stood outside waiting. I went inside, and all the others seemed to want to stay outside, including the other guests who started to arrive. When some more had gotten there, I went and asked them to come inside and talk to me, since I didn't want to walk around outside with my dress (I knew it would get dirty during the day, but I'd like to postpone it as much as possible, at least till after the ceremony and the official photos being shot). So people came inside (one must please the bride! ;)), and we spent about an hour talking to people. It was very nice to see everyone. A few pics of people talking:


Suddenly, it was around 15, the time when the mayor was supposed to show up to perform the wedding ceremony. And so he did. Stefan suddenly called out to say he was there, and while he helped the mayor put his papers and so on the table we had set up for him to perform the ceremony at, and some chairs for him and us to sit on, I went to the other end of the room, and called out that someone should find my dad (yeah, I know, ordering others around instead of doing it myself :) - but people were all gathering in a big half circle to watch us getting married, and getting through a crowd in a big dress is not the easiest thing). After a short while he got there; I asked if they were ready for us to start walking, and they were. So I took my dad's arm, and we walked up the "aisle", i.e. the floor between two of the dinner tables. Pictures:


At the mayor table (can't call it the altar when it wasn't a church ceremony, though it served kinda the same purpose, so the mayor table it is), my dad handed me over to Stefan, and the mayor told us to sit down. Then he performed the short ceremony which included some official stuff he had to say, a few words of his own about marriage, exchanging of rings, kissing, signing of papers, congratulations from him, and a present. The mayor seemed oddly stiff and friendly at the same time. A good explanation might have been that he was nervous and didn't remember what he had to say very well so that he had to read it aloud instead of just glancing at his papers now and then. But he has been mayor for ages, 30 years or so - well, perhaps he's just not good at that kind of thing. Anyway, he certainly seemed friendly and happy for us in spite of his sort of mechanic way of speaking, so it was a very nice ceremony (not that anything could have destroyed the experience of getting married). It all felt quite surreal - some words, signing papers and exchanging rings, and suddenly we're married! Well, pictures of the ceremony too, of course (with comments):
The mayor behind the table speaking, and us sitting in front.

We listen to what the mayor says:

We had to stand up when saying "yes", and right after we both did that, we exchanged rings. First I get mine:

And then Stefan gets his:

After that we got to kiss:

Then we had to sign the wedding papers. Me first:

And Stefan:

And here are all the guests looking while Stefan signs:

Two witnesses had to sign too. We chose one each; this is my friend Rasmus:

And Stefan's friend Martin:

The mayor had to sign too:

After alle the signing, he said congratulations to us. We also got a present from the town, a pair of candle holders - the box can just be seen on the picture, right in front of us:

And with those pictures, I'll end this installment. More to follow soon (if you learn from experience at all, you'll probably take that statement with a grain of salt - but perhaps I'll surprise you)!
On Saturday, we got up early, because I had to be at the hairdresser's at 8. The reason my appointment was that early is my very smooth, straight and long hair. In order to put it up in nice curls and twirls as I wanted, it first had to be curled, of course, and that would take time. Its straightness meant that it would require lots of some hairspray that helps keep the curls in it, and its longness meant that once it was rolled up on curlers with lots of this hairspray on, it would take a while for it to dry so they could be taken out again and the curls appear. And then of course, there'd still be the actual putting it up to do.
So an early start it was. I took a shower with my hair carefully put into a knot and covered with a towel because it would have taken even longer to dry later on with the curlers in unless it was completely dry when I got to the hairdresser's. I'd also had to make sure not to wash it with shampoo later than Thursday evening - again because it's very straight and smooth, and some natural oil in it was necessary to make my hairdo hold all night. I'd prepared for this by getting used to wash it with shampoo only every third day (and just rinse it with water otherwise) - good thing, too; before when I used shampoo every day, it would feel sort of itchy if I skipped the shampoo a day once in a while. By letting it get used to less shampoo, that itchiness disappeared. And it's supposed to be much better for the hair and scalp as well.
Anyway, enough of that and back to Saturday morning. I had a bit of breakfast, and went by bus to Albertslund centre where I carefully kept my hair under the hood of my raincoat while I waited for my mum to meet me so she could keep my company while I got my hair done. She arrived, and after waiting a bit more since it was still a little earlier than 8, we went into the hairdresser's shop where we took out the cherries, chocolate and orange juice I'd brought and got some coffee. Then the hairdresser asked if we'd remembered the veil - and I'd forgotten it! I'd laid it out so as to be sure to remember, and still forgotten it. So I called Stefan who promised to bring it, and we got started on the process of curling my hair. While I was sitting under the drying helmet thing they use, Stefan appeared with the veil. After he left, I read some magazines, talked to my mum, and looked over my speech. After about an hour, my hair was finally dry, and the curlers were taken out. I looked ridiculous with all those wild curls, of course, and it was funny to see myself like that. Then the hairdresser started putting it all up and putting the veil in. It ended up very nice, I think - here are some pictures:
From the front:

From the left side:
From the right side:

From the back:
When my hair was done and we had paid, the hairdresser called a taxi for us and was told there was one already parked at the nearest parking place. But when we went there, no taxi was anywhere to be seen. My mum called once more, and we discovered that someone must have misunderstood something when the hairdresser called, since the taxi had been at the right place, but had been sent somewhere else (very close by, so he got back to the right place fast).
We got home, and had a little time just to relax. Then we had some lunch, and I put on my makeup. I wanted it to be festive, but not too unlike my normal look. Normally I wear eyeliner and beige eyeshadow, so for this occassion I had exchanged the beige eyeshadow for green and gold, and added mascara, mineral foundation and a little lipgloss to what I'm used to. I was quite satisfied with the result. The eye shadow didn't stay perfect all night, but it stayed well enough that I didn't bother to apply more at any point; I just smoothed it out a bit at one point when it had started to gather in the eyelid fold, and I think I looked just fine all night. Here's the best pic tures I could find of the makeup:


After putting on the makeup, I started getting dressed. First, of course, stockings and underwear, then my skirt, and finally, with my mum's help, the dress. I suppose a full figure foto of me in the dress is in order here:

After getting on the dress, I put on my jewellery, and we waited a bit before it was time to go to the party place. Stefan had ordered a taxi earlier so we'd be sure it was there on time. We walked all the way through the area where we live to got to the parking lot where the taxi would pick us up, me with my dress lifted above my knees to make sure it didn't get dirty. It must have been quite a sight; unfortunately there were very few people around to see it.
Well, the taxi arrived, we got me into it with a little trouble (big dress!), and my mum and Stefan with no trouble at all (no big dresses on them). And a short taxi ride later, we were at the party place where a couple of guests had already arrived (we weren't late, they were early) and stood outside waiting. I went inside, and all the others seemed to want to stay outside, including the other guests who started to arrive. When some more had gotten there, I went and asked them to come inside and talk to me, since I didn't want to walk around outside with my dress (I knew it would get dirty during the day, but I'd like to postpone it as much as possible, at least till after the ceremony and the official photos being shot). So people came inside (one must please the bride! ;)), and we spent about an hour talking to people. It was very nice to see everyone. A few pics of people talking:
Suddenly, it was around 15, the time when the mayor was supposed to show up to perform the wedding ceremony. And so he did. Stefan suddenly called out to say he was there, and while he helped the mayor put his papers and so on the table we had set up for him to perform the ceremony at, and some chairs for him and us to sit on, I went to the other end of the room, and called out that someone should find my dad (yeah, I know, ordering others around instead of doing it myself :) - but people were all gathering in a big half circle to watch us getting married, and getting through a crowd in a big dress is not the easiest thing). After a short while he got there; I asked if they were ready for us to start walking, and they were. So I took my dad's arm, and we walked up the "aisle", i.e. the floor between two of the dinner tables. Pictures:


At the mayor table (can't call it the altar when it wasn't a church ceremony, though it served kinda the same purpose, so the mayor table it is), my dad handed me over to Stefan, and the mayor told us to sit down. Then he performed the short ceremony which included some official stuff he had to say, a few words of his own about marriage, exchanging of rings, kissing, signing of papers, congratulations from him, and a present. The mayor seemed oddly stiff and friendly at the same time. A good explanation might have been that he was nervous and didn't remember what he had to say very well so that he had to read it aloud instead of just glancing at his papers now and then. But he has been mayor for ages, 30 years or so - well, perhaps he's just not good at that kind of thing. Anyway, he certainly seemed friendly and happy for us in spite of his sort of mechanic way of speaking, so it was a very nice ceremony (not that anything could have destroyed the experience of getting married). It all felt quite surreal - some words, signing papers and exchanging rings, and suddenly we're married! Well, pictures of the ceremony too, of course (with comments):
The mayor behind the table speaking, and us sitting in front.
We listen to what the mayor says:
We had to stand up when saying "yes", and right after we both did that, we exchanged rings. First I get mine:

And then Stefan gets his:

After that we got to kiss:
Then we had to sign the wedding papers. Me first:

And Stefan:

And here are all the guests looking while Stefan signs:
Two witnesses had to sign too. We chose one each; this is my friend Rasmus:

And Stefan's friend Martin:
The mayor had to sign too:

After alle the signing, he said congratulations to us. We also got a present from the town, a pair of candle holders - the box can just be seen on the picture, right in front of us:

And with those pictures, I'll end this installment. More to follow soon (if you learn from experience at all, you'll probably take that statement with a grain of salt - but perhaps I'll surprise you)!
No comments:
Post a Comment