When I was 12, I began to have some interest in popular music. I wished for a cd player for Christmas, and some cds to play on it. I got one too, and along with it the compilation cd "Absolute Music 10" (by now, my taste has changed, and I'm not all that into the kind of pop that makes it onto such compilations. But back then I liked it). I thought it was great, and felt all cool and like I wasn't quite so much a child anymore (which begins to be a very important thing to a girl that age). So when I came across "Absolute Music 6" in a secondhand shop, I bought it, thinking that was a really cool compilation series or so. I listened to it a lot too, and one of my favourite songs on it was "Jessie" by Joshua Kadison.
Many years then passed, I developed a taste in music less dependent on the current hit songs, and eventually I threw out most of the compilation cds I owned (not that many, I found artists to like soon enough that I rather bought albums by them). The only one I kept was "Absolute Music 6" - because of "Jessie" and one or two other songs that I thought were ... well, not great, but okay enough that I might just as well keep the album.
Yet more time passed, and though I didn't throw out the album, I stopped listening to it altogether. This is, perhaps, 5 years ago or so.
Then, a couple of weeks ago, when I went to the Mensa youth camp thing I've mentioned here, I unexpectedly heard it again in the bus on the way there. The driver was listening to the radio, and it was loud enough that you could just about hear it from where we sat. The song began, and I thought "I know that song. What on earth is it??". After a while, I suddenly remembered that it was that song I used to like on Absolute Music 6, and a little more thinking made the name of the song come back to me (as for the artist I don't think I ever paid attention to his name).
Well, that was that, and it was funny and all, but no more. But yesterday when I went to a café (a Mensa thing again, actually), they played it on the radio. Maybe 5 years without ever hearing it or thinking about it, and suddenly two times only a couple of weeks apart, I just happen to hear it on the radio.
So now I've dusted off the old cd and put on the song. I still quite like it, really. In many ways it seems a type of song I don't normally care much for, but it has a nice melody and sweet melancholic lyrics telling a little story (I like lyrics that are stories in general). And it brings back the feeling of being 12 or 13 and just starting to get into more teenage kind of things.
Why am I telling this little story? I don't really know, but somehow it made me smile - like a little visit from the past. And I found it funny how it seemed to insist on making a reappearance, suddenly being on the radio at places I just happened to be.
Many years then passed, I developed a taste in music less dependent on the current hit songs, and eventually I threw out most of the compilation cds I owned (not that many, I found artists to like soon enough that I rather bought albums by them). The only one I kept was "Absolute Music 6" - because of "Jessie" and one or two other songs that I thought were ... well, not great, but okay enough that I might just as well keep the album.
Yet more time passed, and though I didn't throw out the album, I stopped listening to it altogether. This is, perhaps, 5 years ago or so.
Then, a couple of weeks ago, when I went to the Mensa youth camp thing I've mentioned here, I unexpectedly heard it again in the bus on the way there. The driver was listening to the radio, and it was loud enough that you could just about hear it from where we sat. The song began, and I thought "I know that song. What on earth is it??". After a while, I suddenly remembered that it was that song I used to like on Absolute Music 6, and a little more thinking made the name of the song come back to me (as for the artist I don't think I ever paid attention to his name).
Well, that was that, and it was funny and all, but no more. But yesterday when I went to a café (a Mensa thing again, actually), they played it on the radio. Maybe 5 years without ever hearing it or thinking about it, and suddenly two times only a couple of weeks apart, I just happen to hear it on the radio.
So now I've dusted off the old cd and put on the song. I still quite like it, really. In many ways it seems a type of song I don't normally care much for, but it has a nice melody and sweet melancholic lyrics telling a little story (I like lyrics that are stories in general). And it brings back the feeling of being 12 or 13 and just starting to get into more teenage kind of things.
Why am I telling this little story? I don't really know, but somehow it made me smile - like a little visit from the past. And I found it funny how it seemed to insist on making a reappearance, suddenly being on the radio at places I just happened to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment