Every year during the Whitsun holidays Mensa Denmark has an annual gathering. We spend this long weekend together, have some activities, enjoy each other's company, and have our annual general meeting. We call this annual gathering MIK. I didn't attend MIK in 2006 when the first one after I became a member was held. I was going to the Roskilde Festival and couldn't afford MIK as well. But last year I participated, and it was very nice, although not quite as good a social experience as I had hoped. This was partly because I'm shy and not good at walking up to people to participate in what they're doing; partly because Stefan and I had just got together; and partly because of the facilities at the place it was held. The last two reasons deserve some further explanation. As for Stefan and I, the reason our newly started relationship prevented some socialising was partly that we kept a bit to ourselves, being very much in love and all that, but also partly that people seemed to want to give us some privacy when they saw us standing together, holding hands, etc. So in addition to me not being good at approaching others, others tended not to want to approach me as much as usual either. As for the facilities at the premises, there were simply too many long halls and too few places that felt natural to stop and talk to each other. Still, in spite of all that, it was a very nice experience and made me want to come back this year.
And this year it was much better. Having been together for more than a year now, Stefan and I were less prone to keep to ourselves, and others were less prone to avoid us to give us privacy. I also knew more people and thus felt much more comfortable approaching them. And the place it was held was a lot nicer. The amount of places where it was natural to gather was larger which helped make it natural to socialise. Also, the weather was wonderful, so we could really take advantage of the nice facilities outdoors.
So I've had lovely Whitsun holidays playing games, talking, sitting in the sun, playing pool and table tennis, drinking beer, listening to interesting lectures, enduring a loooooong general meeting (I got a lot of knitting done while there), sleeping too little, going on a small trip to an old abbey, and enjoying myself in general.
I also managed to be quite unlucky, though. I fell on the stairs (no damage done), fell on a chair when trying to navigate through a narrow space between rows of stairs (some bruising), and cut myself on the bread knife (small wound in my palm). But no serious damage was done.
And this year it was much better. Having been together for more than a year now, Stefan and I were less prone to keep to ourselves, and others were less prone to avoid us to give us privacy. I also knew more people and thus felt much more comfortable approaching them. And the place it was held was a lot nicer. The amount of places where it was natural to gather was larger which helped make it natural to socialise. Also, the weather was wonderful, so we could really take advantage of the nice facilities outdoors.
So I've had lovely Whitsun holidays playing games, talking, sitting in the sun, playing pool and table tennis, drinking beer, listening to interesting lectures, enduring a loooooong general meeting (I got a lot of knitting done while there), sleeping too little, going on a small trip to an old abbey, and enjoying myself in general.
I also managed to be quite unlucky, though. I fell on the stairs (no damage done), fell on a chair when trying to navigate through a narrow space between rows of stairs (some bruising), and cut myself on the bread knife (small wound in my palm). But no serious damage was done.
No comments:
Post a Comment