Thursday, June 07, 2007

Random stuff

I haven't been able to come up with a good idea for a subject today, but I thought an update was long overdue. As a result, I shall write random stuff that occurs to me. I know this is very discriminating towards random stuff that doesn't occur to me, but alas, there is no practical solution to this problem.

The evil Peter M. has failed. I am no more (and no less, but that's less relevant in this context) insane than I was before I started writing my exam paper. Actually I don't know if any of the other students have gone madder than they already were, so I suppose it's not entirely correct to induce from my own case that he failed completely.
This reminds me of something funny. Stefan (that's my boyfriend) and I are both members of Mensa and went to the Danish annual gathering called MIK. Among other things a visit to a nearby science museum was on the schedule. One of the things on display was some kind of thing where you could stick wires in different holes. They were placed in groups of two holes and two wires together. I attempted to put a wire from one group into a hole in another group, but it wasn't long enough, so I told Stefan: "Noring, you can't even put the wires in the holes grouped with other wires". He then proceeded to do just that, only with another wire than the one I'd used (one that was actually long enough). I tried to justify myself by saying: "Well, the first one worked and then I induced from that single case that it would never work!". He replied: "And what can we learn from that? ... Induction doesn't work". Tadaa! A great joke, and I helped make it. Even if I did so by behaving rather stupidly.

But to get back to university stuff, I also finished another exam paper and handed that in, which means it's now my summer holiday - wee!!

Aside from that, Stefan has met a few more of my friends, and I have met a few of his. That was nice.

Today is a very hot day, and I walked into town on the path along the Brabrand lake (any non-local readers must be content with knowing that this is a lake that has a path along it which can take you into town from my place, provided you actually go to it first and that you follow it in the right direction). In town I bought a book (Dune, which I've read a long time ago and would like to read again) which was mostly paid for with a gift certificate I won at the MIK because my team won the pub quiz that was held there. The main reason my team won was that one fo the others is one of those people who know freakingly much. My friends tend to find my knowledge of trivia impressive, but it's nothing in comparison. I knew more about Simpsons and friends than he did, though. And I had Auguste Rodin's first name right while he insisted it was Pierre (it is Auguste, as you may have figured out if you're very very clever).

In the weekend I expect to be far away in Copenhagen unless my friend Anders (who may just read this, at least I gave him the link to this blog) very soon announces that he'll be in Ã…rhus exactly then. It'll be the first time I see Stefan's place, so that should be interesting.

It's been a long time since I last updated, so I think I might need a regular update day. I hereby declare that it shall be Wednesday. I may write stuff at other times too, but I will definitely write something every Wednesday, except when I forget it. So expect to find something new unless there's nothing new to find.

My plants could do with some water. I bought a small brain model at the science museum I wrote about. I'm currently reading Harry Potter so that I'll have read the six first books by the time the seventh and last is published. I'm also knitting a moebius shawl.

At this point my random stuff seems to be limited to things that can be said in one sentence, so this is probably a good place to stop.

No comments: